LONG TERM TRAINING COURSE IN THEATRE OF THE OPPRESSED
28 SEPTEMBER-7 OCTOBER 2018 (BUJUMBURA, BURUNDI) – FIRST TRAINING
28 FEBRUARY – 10 MARCH 2019 (ROMANIA, BUSTENI) – SECOND TRAINING
Important -this is a call for one year project Participation in 2 international trainings and local activities is required from participants). We invite all the interested people to read thoroughly the information included in this call. Read carefully and decide to apply responsibly. Please contact us before you apply so we can clarify any question!
Background of the project
Theatre of the Oppressed is a collective rehearsal for reality. The main idea of this methodology is to make people experience and understand how a change of an attitude, behaviour or thinking pattern can have a powerful significant effect on their life as well as lives of people around them. Theatre of the Oppressed methods are highly adaptable to the needs of different communities, with a large capacity to cover all kind of the social issues: human rights problems, power abuse and oppression in different ways, lack of activism, discrimination, exclusion, poverty, marginalization, xenophobia, etc. and through a creative approach provides a space for people to reflect, find solutions to these topics and transfer the solutions in their lives. This project is an answer to the needs of various youth organizations that need competencies in new methods for improving the situation of their direct target groups (the ones directly affected by the problems mentioned and not only).
Partners involved in the project are coming from Burundi, Germany, Kenya, Latvia, Nigeria, Portugal, Romania and Tanzania.
The main goal of the project is to increase the capacity of youth work sector to raise the participation and involvement of young people in social processes and change;
More specific Objectives of the project are:
· To introduce innovative methodologies in youth work field on 2 continents;
· To raise the capacity of partner organizations to operate at European level and in Inter-continental mobility projects;
· To stimulate the exchange of best practices in youth work field across continents;
· To increase the quality of the youth organization projects in 2 continents;
· To develop and improve skills in non-formal education in general, and in particular in Theatre of the Oppressed methods for youth workers from Europe and Africa;
· To stimulate the development of a network of Theatre of the Oppressed multipliers in various regions of Europe and Africa;
· To improve project management, communication, team leading and motivations skills for youth workers
· To develop pro-active attitudes and the sense of initiative among the partners NGO members and also among the beneficiaries of the partners (young people).
· To increase the level of active participation among the direct and indirect beneficiaries
· To contribute to the development of employable skills among direct and indirect beneficiaries.
- Selection and preparation participants (June-august 2018)
- First residential training course for developing basic competencies in theatre of the oppressed methodology (image and forum theatre) (Bujumbura/Burundi, 28th Sept- 7th Oct 2018)
- Practice phase 1 in each community (October 2018-February 2019) (each team will have to prepare and implement a forum theatre performance on a topic relevant for the local community for least 200 young people) with a support manual and coaching from the educational team;
- Second residential training course for advance competencies in theatre of the oppressed methodology (Busteni/Romania, 238th February – 10 March 2019)
- Practice phase 2 (each team will have to prepare and implement a new round of performances for at least 100 people) – March-July 2019
- Evaluation meeting of the whole project–Riga/Latvia (20-25th August 2019) –the country coordinator and one multiplier will participate in this meeting ;
- Dissemination activities - between August-October 2019 in the local communities
*selected participants have to take part in both training course and practice phases!
·Board and lodging for the two training courses which will take place in Burundi and Romania (and if is the case for the Evaluation meeting in Latvia) are covered by the organizers in full during the mentioned dates.
·85% of international travel costs for the two training courses which will take place in Burundi and Romania (and if is the case for the Evaluation meeting in Latvia) will be covered by the organizers, upon receipt of original travel tickets and invoices (the ticket could be booked in advance by the organizers and the selected multipliers will reimburse the 15%)
·85% of visa & vaccination cost, upon receipt of original tickets and invoices.
Profile of the participants
Be youth workers, leader’s coordinators, facilitators and trainers from active NGOs that have mission and objectives that are related to human rights, inclusion and empowerment of young people;
·Have experience in the international field ;
·Interest in social theatre/ theatre of the oppressed or theatre as a tool for social change (it doesn’t mean previous experience – please read the notes below);
·Motivated to act as multiplier in this field; ·Have good command of English language;
·Available to get involved in all the project activities (mentioned above) for the whole duration of the project (until October 2019);
·Available to travel to Burundi and Romania(and if is the case for the Evaluation meeting in Latvia) and take part in the training courses (they need to have a valid passport by the time of the application) ·Able to cover 15% of the international travel costs, visa and insurance cost.
*This training program is designed for youth workers which are NEW to the field of using theatre as a tool for social change! People with previous experience in theatre of the oppressed field are welcomed BUT they need to be aware that this training is not for advanced people and also that the way methodology is used by our experts might be different then the way they use it. If you are experienced and you are not sure if this program suits you, write to us!
· priority will be given to the volunteers, members, supporters of A.R.T. Fusion Association or that are motivated/interested to be volunteers/part of other projects and activities of A.R.T. Fusion
· Feel free to ask any additional questions to the contact person (mentioned next) if you are not sure if this training is suitable to your learning and professional needs before deciding to apply.
If you are interested in taking part in this project, please submit your application form until 15 of august 2018 to
Andreea-Loredana Tudorache : email@example.com
- “LOOK CLOSER. NOT EVERYTHING IS AS IT SEEMS”
- Training for Nature – Behind the scenes
- "In the footsteps of a migrant"
- Differences Challenge Assumptions project